Saturday, September 15, 2012

Landlubber´s Paella Recipe

Although this recipe is already on the blog, it was posted quite a while ago and was hidden away at the end of a Menu Plan Monday blog post.  I think I prefer the idea of posting my recipes as separate individual posts so here is one that our family loves.  I don´t like seafood so I don´t normally like the typical paella that is made here in Spain with all kinds of seafood, so when my friend shared with me her recipe for paella that only calls for chicken I knew I had found my recipe.  The family loves it and it looks very pretty to serve even for company.

Landlubber's Paella (no seafood)

1 red bell pepper
5 ¾ cups chicken broth (1 lg. can)
3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts,
cut into bite-sized pieces
salt to taste
shake or two of powdered garlic
1 tomato, cut into cubes (or 1 can diced tomatoes)
Colorante (or use lots of yellow liquid food coloring)
2 cups rice (not long grain)
1 small can of peas or 1-1.5 cups frozen peas
olive oil


Cut up chicken and bell pepper (cut pepper into strips). Put enough olive oil in a paella pan to cover the bottom. As oil begins to heat, put in the pieces of bell pepper and lightly brown in the oil. Then remove the pepper from pan and set aside on a plate. Add chicken to oil and lightly brown; then add the tomato and cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken broth, peas, colorante and garlic. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes at a light boil. Add rice and salt; cook 10 minutes at a good boil. Add the bell peppers, arranging them nicely on the top and cook on low 10 minutes more. Cover and let sit 5 minutes before serving.

0 comments: